Friday, May 21, 2010

rule #25 eat your colors

I love Michael Pollan.  He has written some amazing books about the way we eat.  My favorite, and the one I refer to all the time (it sits on a shelf next to my computer) is Food Rules.

Have you seen the movie Ratatouille?  If you are a parent you’ve likely seen it more than once.  I can never get the image of his perfect ratatouille out of my mind (but no, it does not bring back memories of my girlhood on the prairies…)

Colors, rats, French cuisine… I do have a point, I promise!

015 Vegan Fusion has a tropical version of ratatouille, Transcendental Tropical Ratatouille.  I had to try it.  It is the same basics as traditional ratatouille, but rather than tomatoes being the main ingredient, the sauce is a coconut milk/peanut butter combination.  .

017

The end result of this mash-up of flavors is fantastic.  I served it over quinoa and it was a huge hit.  My husband added hot sauce, but he adds that to everything.  But I think it could use a bit more crushed chili pepper if your tastes lean to the spicy side of food.

008

My little family’s overall rating  carrotcarrotcarrotcarrot(out of five)

 

dawn

PS Why yes, that is a jar of Jif peanut butter.  When I cook, I choose the ingredients.  But when my family cooks – they choose.  And since they mostly just “cook” peanut butter on toast, well…

009PS again.  I actually measured my vegetables (!) so had some left over.  I chopped up another onion and some tomatoes and roasted them with olive oil, salt, and fresh rosemary.  Now I have the base of a nice pasta sauce for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment