Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Booker T's Southwest Tempeh Chili

It's been almost 8 months since I got the "Vegan Fusion" cookbook, so I'd better get myself caught up with the recipes I've tried so far. I'm not very good about making notes when I try new recipes, but I figure I will have no problem remembering the ones that made an impression. I flipped to page 116 this morning and have very fond memories of this recipe.

Like Sophie (and probably Dawn) I don't generally follow a recipe to the letter - although I follow it closest when making it for the first time (after that, all bets are off). At this point I can't remember what exactly went into the Booker T's Southwest Tempeh Chili, although I can tell you I have never had barley malt syrup in my kitchen, so I'm guessing I used agave nectar. And a mere tablespoon of chili powder? Not likely. Same with the cumin - I'm sure I used at least twice what the recipe calls for and, as for toasting it? No way! The ancho chili gives a nice, smoky flavor so I can't imagine that it really needs the optional liquid smoke...I probably didn't use it.

In my mind, the jury is still out on the whole soy debate. While I think the biggest problem is the genetically modified and isolated variety found in SO many (70% or more) packaged foods, in my humble opinion even the organic, whole variety should be consumed in moderation. However, even those who discourage the consumption of soy make an exception for fermented soy products such as tempeh, miso, and natto. And that is why I am excited when I can add a delicious tempeh recipe to my repertoire. This chili definitely qualifies. And it has cashews in it! Brilliant!!

It comes together quickly, goes down easily, and makes enough to feed a large crew. And for those of you with small crews - leftovers!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment