Thursday, May 27, 2010

John Barleycorn’s Salad

I love barley, but it’s not at the top of my list of “go to” ingredients.  I wanted something to go with “chicken” cutlets (we use this variety), I had barley in the cupboard and we love brussel sprouts so, decision made.

009

I followed the recipe almost entirely.  I didn’t add the flax seed oil though.  Instead, I left a teeny bit of the liquid rather than cooking the barley until all the liquid was gone.  That is really all it needed.  And if I were to make it again I’d cut back on the tarragon (personally, I love tarragon, but it almost overpowered the other flavors).

I love this salad.  It’s substantial enough to enjoy on it’s own (although you would want to add the oil I think to help absorb all the veggie goodness).  The recipe does make a lot though.  There is enough left over for me to have for lunch tomorrow and then some. 

I think it would be fun to take to a summer time pot-luck when you want to take something a little more substantial than a simple salad.

Our little family gave this salad carrot carrotcarrotcarrots.

 

dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment