Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thousand Petals Tempeh Stir Fry

As I’ve mentioned before our family is fairly typical; two omnivores, one pescatarian (or, veg-aquarian) and one vegetarian.  Two adults, two kids.  Despite our differences, I never make separate meals, never have.  Tonight I broke that rule. 

It’s the fishmonger’s fault.  I had to buy fresh clams at the Farmer’s Market.

So tonight I made a tempeh stir fry for all of us to share, and a big bowl of steamed clams for the three of us who eat seafood.

To make things a little easier on myself, I used the same basic seasonings for both recipes, the Lotus Curry Paste that I’ve used before to make Gift of Govinda Curry.   I had some on hand making the meal that much easier.

Lotus Curry Paste

  • 1 small Lime Leaf
  • 1 Tbsp shallot, minced
  • 1 Tbsp chili pepper, hot variety, minced
  • 1 Tbsp lemongrass stem, minced
  • 2 tsp ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 tsp Garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2Tbsp Sesame oil
  1. Blend all ingredients in a blender, adding sesame oil until smooth consistency is attained.  Store in refrigerator in a jar and use as needed.  Lasts up to a week or longer if refrigerated.

007For the Thousand Petals Tempeh Stir Fry, I marinated the tempeh in shoyu then roasted it for about 30 minutes.  The vegetable mix included red bell pepper, broccoli, asparagus and swiss chard.  I added the Lotus Curry Paste to the onions, garlic and ginger at the beginning of the recipe.

My family was pretty iffy on both the tempeh and the chard.  I usually used chard in soups or stews so the sharp flavor wasn’t doing it for them.  Contrast that flavor with the relatively flavorless tempeh and, well, no.

Our little family gave the stir fry  carrot carrot

 

dawn

PS  for the steamed clam recipe, click on over to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment