Sunday, June 20, 2010

Ammachi's Aloha Pate

I must admit that I did not have high hopes for this recipe - it seemed like a fairly random collection of ingredients, but I had some friends over yesterday and, since it looked really easy to throw together I thought I'd give it a go. And I am SO happy that I did!! It is delicious and everyone loved it. The beet gives it an interesting pink hue that starts out pretty but turned a little brown as it sat - by that time everyone had tasted it and was hooked so it didn't really matter.

We experimented with a variety of crackers, chips and vegetables and discovered a magical combination: spread some pate on a tamari seaweed rice cracker and top with a slice of cucumber. YUM!!

Here's the recipe:

Ammachi's Aloha Pate

1/2 c. almonds
1/2 c. cashews or macadamia nuts (I used cashews)
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/3 c. carrot (didn't measure, used a large carrot)
1/3 c. beet (didn't measure, used half of a large beet)
2 T. leek, rinsed well and diced
1/4 c. Daikon radish
1/4 c. green bell pepper (I used red)
1 T. basil, Italian parsley or cilantro (I used parsley, I think cilantro would be great, too)
1/2 t. garlic, minced (says optional, but I think it needs it)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
dash of Shoyu (optional - I didn't add it)

Throw it all in a food processor and add a little water if needed. It really does need to sit for several hours or overnight, so plan ahead.

Enjoy!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment